You are here

501.02 Student Transfers Into District and Out of District

Transfers Into District


The student’s parents or the student may transfer the student to the district.  Students who transfer into the district must meet the immunization and age requirements set out for students who initially enroll in the district.


The district will request the student's cumulative records from the previous school district. If the student cannot offer proof of grade level, the superintendent will make the grade level determination. The superintendent may require testing or other information to determine the grade level. Students expelled or suspended from their previous school district will only be enrolled after approval of the board.


The superintendent will determine the number of credits to be transferred. If the student has not previously attended an accredited school, it is within the superintendent's discretion to accept or reject credits or grades.


The board may deny admission if the student is not willing to provide the board with the necessary information.


Transfers Out of District


The student's parents or the student may withdraw or transfer the student from the district prior to completing and graduating from the education program.  The student or parent shall notify the superintendent or designee in writing as soon as possible of the decision to withdraw or transfer the student from the education program.  The notice shall state the student's final day of attendance.  The student or parent should present this written notice at the office and receive instructions regarding the return of textbooks, library books, locker equipment, hot lunch tickets, etc.


If the student is not enrolling in another school district, the district will maintain the student's records in the same manner as the records of students who have graduated from the district.


If the parents wish to have the student's cumulative record sent to the new school district, the parents will notify the superintendent or designee in writing. This notice will include the name of the school district and the person at the new school district to whom the student's cumulative records should be sent. If the new school district requests the student's cumulative records, the district will forward the cumulative records and notify the parents the records have been sent. The notice will inform the parents of their right to review the records sent.


If the student is of compulsory education age and not transferring to another public school district or an accredited nonpublic school, the parents will notify the superintendent or designee that the student is receiving competent private instruction and file the necessary competent private instruction reports.


Reviewed: FY 2015-2016, March 14, 2016

Revised: 02/24/17