Fire drills and other emergency drills should be conducted in accordance with state and federal law. Fire drills and other emergency drills will be arranged by the building principal. At least one of each type of drill should be held as early in the school year as possible so that all students will be thoroughly familiar with emergency procedures.
Each attendance center will develop and maintain a written plan containing emergency and disaster procedures. The plan will be communicated to and reviewed with employees. Employees will participate in emergency drills.
Licensed employees are responsible for instructing the proper techniques to be followed in the drill.
The emergency plan shall include these aspects:
- assignment of employees to specific tasks and responsibilities;
- instructions relating to the use of alarm systems and signals – if combination visual and auditory warning devices do not exist, the plan shall include specific provisions for warning individuals with hearing impairments;
- information concerning methods of fire containment;
- systems for notification of appropriate persons and agencies;
- information concerning the location and use of firefighting equipment;
- specification of evacuation routes and procedures;
- posting of plans and procedures at suitable locations throughout the facility;
- evacuation drills which include the actual evacuation of individuals to safe areas;
- an evaluation for each evacuation drill.
Reviewed: FY 2015-2016, March 14, 2016